Emergency Management – Curriculum
Secure Your Career with a Master’s Degree in SSEM
The online Master of Science in Safety, Security and Emergency Management program from EKU prepares currently employed safety, fire, public service, security, business and military professionals with an advanced education that is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills you’ll need to evolve your career and become a respected leader in the field. You’ll stay competitive as a working professional while building your professional network through interactions with other students in various roles and stages in their careers, and faculty involved in the safety, security and emergency management field.
Throughout the core of the program you’ll examine the roles and responsibilities of leadership in fire, safety and security. Discover the administrative principles of organizing and managing a successful team in this dynamic field. Learn to develop policy, establish objectives and understand the impact of your decisions. The program also covers the legal and regulatory side of working in the safety and security industry, as well as labor laws and how to conduct a safety audit.
A Complete Safety and Emergency Management Education
The Master’s Degree in Safety, Security and Emergency Management with a concentration in Emergency Management features a group of core courses designed to provide an advanced and well-rounded safety, security and emergency management foundation. These graduate-level courses establish the groundwork for your elected concentration to build on. The core of the program is an advanced examination of safety, leadership, legal issues, compliance, emergency response, research, auditing and more.
Safety, Security and Emergency Management Core Courses
- SSEM Core Courses
- SSE 885 – Quantitative Analysis in Safety, Security & Emergency Management
- SSE 815 – Safety, Security & Emergency Management Administration
- SSE 826 – Emergency Preparation and Response
- SSE 827 – Issues in Security Management
- SSE 833 – Legislation & Legal Compliance
- SSE 865 – Auditing for Safety, Security & Emergency Management
Safety, Security and Emergency Management General Electives
- SSEM Supporting Courses
- SSE 890 – Lean Enterprise Practices in Safety and Emergency Services
- SSE 822 – Workers’ Compensation / Labor Law
- SSE 839 – Applied Learning
- SSE 841 – Applied Study in Safety, Security and Emergency Management
- SSE 880 – Research & Planning for Safety, Security & Emergency Management
- SSE 897 – Independent Study
- SSE 898 – Thesis
Analyze, understand and take control of the situation by learning how to plan for emergencies of different scales. Prepare an approach, implement your ideas and become a leader in the response efforts, work with other agencies and learn what it takes to rise to the challenge of an emergency situation – whether natural or man-made.
Emergency Management Concentration Electives
* If pursuing a specific concentration in Emergency Management, all of the above concentration electives must be completed. However, these courses also serve as electives toward other concentrations or a multi-disciplinary concentration.
State authorization link for co-op: http://ekuonline.eku.edu/state-authorization-status