Program Coordinator Ron Dotson
Ron is the Program Coordinator for the online bachelor of science in Occupational Safety program at EKU. Professor Dotson began his career in the US Marine Corps Reserve as a heavy equipment operator and Diesel Mechanic with the 4th CEB in Charleston, WVa. He coordinated various size construction projects for Marine projects as well as project planning for Marine and local municipality joint projects. Later he jointly served with the 4th CEB and as lead operator and project planner for Bear Creek Construction, an excavation contract company.
In 1995 he began a successful career in law enforcement. He was a highly decorated officer serving in Ashland, Kentucky earning several awards to include a Medal of Honor. After performing patrol and investigation duties he became an Instructor at the Department of Criminal Justice Training in Richmond, Kentucky. He performed duties as an instructor in Defensive Tactics and Physical Fitness for basic recruits as well as veteran officers. He co-developed courses for tactical baton, defensive spray, and authored “Anaerobic Warrior” a fitness program for law enforcement officers. He wrote two articles for Law Enforcement Magazine centering on fitness and healthy eating for law enforcement. Shortly before leaving DOCJT, he developed training for the Homeland Security Department of DOCJT for chemical awareness and readiness, personal protective equipment, and suspicious packages handling procedures.
In 2005 he accepted a position with KI USA Corporation as its Safety Coordinator. During his stay injuries fell 46%, KI became an inaugural member of Kentucky EXCEL, and KI saw its lowest worker’s compensation expenditure in its history. Company savings during this period totaled approximately $350k.
Ron is still active on the construction field as an owner operator of D & R Excavation. During 2007 D&R has handled the clearing and building of a pistol range, roadways, utility lines, the trucking of various pieces of equipment, basements, fence lines, and driveways. From 2004 to 2005 he was a construction safety instructor for The OSHA Training Institute at Eastern Kentucky University, teaching concrete safety, crane and rigging safety, and fall protection.
He has served as an online facilitator for Eastern Kentucky University since April of 2007 and is currently an Assistant Professor in the Safety, Security, and Emergency Management Department. He has developed several courses to include Principles of Safety, Hazardous Materials Training, Construction Safety, and Safety Systems Analysis.
Ronald Dotson Career Highlights:
- MS, Safety/Loss Prevention
- Former Chief Operating Member, D & R Excavation, LLC; Brodhead, Kentucky
- Former Safety Coordinator, KI USA Corporation; Berea, Kentucky
- Former Training Instructor – Construction Safety, OSHA Training Institute; Richmond, Kentucky
- Former Law Enforcement Instructor II, Department of Criminal Justice Training; Richmond, Kentucky
- Former Police Officer, City of Ashland Police Department; Ashland, Kentucky
- Received the “Medal of Honor” from the Ashland Police Department; Ashland, Kentucky
- Received the “State of Kentucky Recognition Award” from the Kentucky House of Representatives
- Received the “Distinguished Educational Leader Award” from the EKU Student Government Association
- Certified Instructor, OSHA Training Institute. Construction Safety
- Member of American Society of Safety Engineers, Fraternal Order of Police