Scotty Dunlap, EdD, holds a Doctorate of Education in Higher and Adult Education from the University of Memphis and an MS in Loss Prevention and Safety from Eastern Kentucky University. He is a professional member of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) and is a board Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
Scotty began his career as a Safety Specialist at a state psychiatric hospital in a suburb of Baltimore, Maryland. He then moved to Zanesville, Ohio where he served as the Safety Manager at an AutoZone distribution center. After three years with AutoZone, Scotty went on to spend six years in the grain industry working for Cargill in Minneapolis, Minnesota and Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) in Decatur, Illinois. He served as corporate health and safety director for both organizations in their respective grain divisions.
In his most recent role, Scotty led Environmental Safety and Health initiatives for Nike in Memphis where the majority of equipment, footwear and apparel are distributed in the U.S. and Nike’s dot-com business is operated. He led a team of nurses and health and safety professionals to ensure Nike’s 1,600 Memphis employees were provided with a safe and healthy work environment.
In addition to his work responsibilities, Scotty served in a number of leadership roles in two grain industry trade organizations, the Grain Elevator and Processing Society (GEAPS) and the National Grain and Feed Association (NGFA). He was a featured speaker at numerous national and regional conferences throughout the U.S. and Canada. Scotty has also been a speaker at ASSE national professional development conferences.
Scotty is a published writer on such topics as OSHA compliance, DOT compliance, behavior-based safety, and organizational safety culture. His work has appeared in the Journal of Emergency Medical Services, Grain Journal, World Grain Magazine, and Professional Safety. He has published textbooks on motor carrier safety and loss control auditing as well as being the editor and contributing author of a textbook on school safety. His current research is in the area of industry leader development and involvement in workplace safety leadership.
Scotty Dunlap Career Highlights:
- Doctorate of Education in Higher and Adult Education from the University of Memphis
- MS, Loss Prevention and Safety, Eastern Kentucky University
- Former Memphis Environmental Safety and Health Manager, Nike
- Former U.S. Health and Safety Manager – Grain Division, Archer Daniels Midland (ADM)
- Former U.S. Safety and Loss Control Coordinator, Cargill, Incorporated
- Former Safety Manager – Distribution, AutoZone, Incorporated
- Former Agency Health and Safety Specialist, State of Maryland
- Board-Certified Safety Professional, Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Member of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Grain Elevator and Processing Society (GEAPS), National Grain and Feed Association (NGFA)